Welcome to K9 Training Camp!
View our calendar of current classes below. To sign up for a class, click on the “Register for a Class” button.
Unless otherwise notified, please NO DOGS TO THE FIRST CLASS!
Training Classes offered by Tuxedo’s K9 at the following locations:
|Pet Supplies Plus
980 Ridge Road
Webster NY 14580
Classes Offered (click titles below for full class descriptions)
Puppy Socialization & Etiquette Playtime
- Gives you a great start with your new “family” member.
- Puppy Training classes are an excellent opportunity for socialization.
- Class teaches family members the reasons for the puppy behavior and important handling skills.
- Puppy classes are a vital part in the developmental stages of your growing dog.
- It also helps your puppy bond with it’s new family and other puppies in the class.
Basic Obedience Class
Basic Obedience Class teaches dogs of all ages the basic techniques/commands below. There are other skills taught as well as plenty of open discussions.
- Leave it
- Take it
- Loose leash walking
Canine Good Citizen
The CGC Program is designed to reward dogs who have good manners at home and in the community. The Canine Good Citizen Program is a two-part program that stresses responsible pet ownership for owners and basic good manners for dogs. All dogs who pass the 10-step CGC test may receive a certificate from the American Kennel Club.
Training/Testing: CGC Test Items
Before taking the Canine Good Citizen test, owners will sign the Responsible Dog Owners Pledge. We believe that responsible dog ownership is a key part of the CGC concept and by signing the pledge, owners agree to take care of their dog’s health needs, safety, exercise, training and quality of life. Owners also agree to show responsibility by doing things such as cleaning up after their dogs in public places and never letting dogs infringe on the rights of others.
After signing the Responsible Dog Owners Pledge, owners and their dogs are ready to take the CGC Test. Items on the Canine Good Citizen Test include: Accepting a friendly stranger, Sitting politely for petting, Appearance and grooming, Out for a walk (walking on a loose lead), Walking through a crowd, Sit and down on command and Staying in place, Coming when called, Reaction to another dog, Reaction to distraction, Supervised separation.
All tests must be performed on leash. For collars, dogs should wear well-fitting buckle or slip collars made of leather, fabric, or chain. Special training collars such as pinch collars, head halters, and electronic collars are not permitted in the CGC test.
As of November 4, 2010, body harnesses may be used in the CGC test. The evaluator should check to make sure the harness is not of a type that completely restricts the dog’s movement such that it could not pull or jump up if it tried.
The evaluator supplies a 20-foot lead for the test. The owner/handler should bring the dog’s brush or comb to the test.
Intermediate Obedience Class
The Intermediate Class is designed for those canine companions that have been through the Basic Obedience Class. The class is one step closer to obtaining a Canine Good Citizen certification. The following commands are taught:
- Loose Leash Walking with Distractions
- Sit, Down, Stay from a Distance
- Leash Free Heel with Watch Me
Building Relationships and Team Work
Tired of the same ole training class? Join our Building Relationships and Team Work Class, during this six week class you will build a bond of team work, partnership and communication skills with your canine.
The course will take you to the extreme and back again through an obstacle coarse in six short weeks. Are you ready for the challenge? Does your dog walk on leash? Is your dog friendly with Humans and Dogs? Does your dog know sit and down with distractions? Come along on the journey of Communication and Team Work.
Private In-Home Lessons
Call 585-429-0320 for a price quote
Private lessons are offered in your home and conducted one on one with you and your family members. The class will also help to develop a bond and the safe zones in your home for your new member. Once the safe zones have been established other commands in Basic Obedience will be taught in the home.
These Lessons are available to residents of Monroe, Wayne, and Ontario Counties in NY
Please Bring to Class
- Six foot leather or nylon leash (the thickness and size of the leash depends on the size of the dog). Retractable leashes are not acceptable for training.
- Training collar properly fitted for the dog. Head collars are typically recommended for dogs that pull on the leash. A head collar has a strap that goes around the dog’s neck right behind the ears and has a loop or strap that goes over the nose. The leash is attached where these two straps come together usually at the base of the dogs lower jaw near the neck. Flat buckle collars are great for calm and shy dogs. The collar must be in good condition.
- A 30 foot nylon training lead (dogs under 10 pounds may use a 15 foot lead). The training lead is used for long distance work during class. The lead must be in good condition.
- Approximately 150 pea sized soft treat that your dog really likes. You will need a training pouch or a pant/shirt pocket to house the treats. Make sure your dog has a good appetite for class. Food should be withheld for approximately six to eight hours before class depending on the age of your dog.
- All dogs should have identification. Micro-chipping, tattooing, or a simple to read ID tag stating the owner’s name and phone number should be attached to each dogs collar.
- Proper shoes prevent injury. No open-toed shoes or sandals.
- A pooper scooper or similar type of waste disposal tool.
- Children attending or watching the class must be supervised by another adult that is NOT participating in the class.
- A COPY of the immunizations must be brought to the first class.
- Oh and don’t forget the DOG!
We do NOT allow the following devices to be used in our training classes and or facility: E-Collars (shock or electronic), prong collars, choke chains.
Due to allergies, we are a peanut-free facility. Please do not bring peanut products into our building.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.