Canine Attendant Job Description
General Summary of Job
The Canine Attendant is responsible for the supervision, control and management of daycare dogs and ensuring the safety of the playgroup. Employee is also responsible for the maintenance and cleaning of the playrooms as well as other areas of the facility as assigned.
1. Dog Management
- Interact with dogs in playgroups using appropriate toys and tools to ensure safe levels of play and minimizing stress levels of all dogs in playgroup.
- Maintain visual observation of dogs at all times and spread attention and play among all dogs in playgroup.
- Control level of play by following dog management and control procedures and instructions provided by management.
- Use proper dog handling techniques as instructed by management.
- Use proper dog introduction procedures.
- Use appropriate praise and dog correction methods.
- Ensure you know all dogs in playgroup and can properly identify them. If not, request assistance from other staff or management.
- Watch all new dogs carefully and immediately consult with management if you have concerns.
- For all dogs in playgroup, report any unusual behavior, or eliminations and injuries to management immediately.
- Maintain playroom as instructed per the posted checklist.
- Ensure that all staff that relieve you for break or shift change know all dogs in group, the special needs dog status and any unusual behaviors or concerns you have been managing during your shift.
- Keep a working 2 way radio at all times when managing dogs. Request back-up coverage prior to leaving the playgroup floor.
- Review information on the “playgroup” board in hall and in playroom before start of shift and comply with instructions.
- Complete dog incident reports timely when required. If you are not sure whether a report is required check with management.
2. Cleaning Duties
- Complete general cleaning duties as posted or assigned
- Scoop dog waste immediately and dispose of it as instructed
- Mop up accidents immediately
- Dust mopping/wet mopping floors as assigned.
- Removing trash from containers
- Disinfect outside area
- Changing/Laundering sheets
- Cleaning water bowls, kongs, and other toys
3. Office Duties
- Greeting customers and bringing dogs into playroom
- Handling payments
- Tracking dog attendance as needed
- Answering phones as needed
- Other general office duties as needed
Minimum Experience, Skills, Certification or Academic Background Required
- High school graduate or GED preferred
- Good oral communication skills
- Previous work experience demonstrating dependability
- Previous experience providing animal care (personal or job related)
- Self motivated, independent worker
- Proven ability to follow instructions and learn new things
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Demonstrated flexibility and proven coping skills