Assistant Trainer Job Description
General Summary of Job
The Assistant Trainer is responsible for the supervision, control and management of Canine Attendants ensuring the safety of the playgroup and staff. Assistant Trainer is also responsible for ensuring the maintenance and cleaning protocol is adhered too at ALL TIMES.
1. Dog Management
- Interact with staff members and dogs in playgroups using appropriate toys and tools to ensure safe levels of play and minimizing stress levels of all dogs in playgroup.
- Maintain visual observation and conduct coaching of staff as needed.
- Maintain proper records of the dogs in the playgroup at all times and spread attention and play among all dogs in playgroup.
- Control level of play by following dog management and control procedures and instructions provided by management.
- Use proper dog handling techniques as instructed by management.
- Assist staff members with the proper use of dog introduction procedures.
- Use appropriate praise and dog correction methods.No adversaries are permitted.
- Ensure you know all dogs in playgroup and can properly identify them. If not, request assistance from other staff or management.
- Watch all new dogs carefully and immediately consult with management if you have concerns.
- For all dogs in playgroup, report any unusual behavior, or eliminations and injuries to management immediately.
- Maintain playroom as instructed per the posted checklist.
- Record on in/out board when you enter and leave playgroup. Ensure that all staff that relieve you for break or shift change know all dogs in group, the special needs dog status and any unusual behaviors or concerns you have been managing during your shift.
- Keep a working 2 way radio at all times when managing dogs. Request back-up coverage prior to leaving the playgroup floor.
- Review information on the “playgroup” board in hall and in playroom before start of shift and comply with instructions.
- Complete dog incident reports timely when required. If you are not sure whether a report is required check with management.
2. Cleaning Duties
- Complete general cleaning duties as posted or assigned.
- Scoop dog waste immediately and dispose of it as instructed.
- Mop up accidents immediately.
- Dust mopping/wet mopping floors as assigned.
- Removing trash from containers.
- Disinfect outside area.
- Changing/Laundering sheets.
- Cleaning water bowls, kongs, and other toys.
3. Office Duties
- Greeting customers and bringing dogs into playroom
- Handling payments
- Tracking dog attendance as needed
- Answering phones as needed
- Other general office duties as needed
Minimum Experience, Skills, Certification or Academic Background Required
- High school graduate or GED preferred
- Prior Management Experience, preferred in the canine community
- Completion of at least 40 hours of training in the canine field either as a VT, VA or Dog Training
- Good oral communication skills
- Previous work experience demonstrating dependability
- Previous experience providing animal care
- Self-motivated, independent worker
- Proven ability to follow instructions and learn new things
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Demonstrated flexibility and proven coping skills